9400 3G Test Signal and Sync Pulse Generator
- Use as Master Sync Gen or lock to external reference or GPS
- Can output SD SDI, 1.5 Gb/s HD SDI, 3 Gb/s HD SDI, composite timecode and audio simultaneously
- Softlock provides graceful transition to internal TCXO if external reference is lost, ensuring consistent reference output
- Outputs can be independently timed
- Generates 30+ test signals
- Generates closed caption test sequence to test for compliance
- Dual Link test patterns
- Flash memory card for making custom test patterns
9400 SPG/TSG Reliable and Easy-To-Use
The 9400 3G/HD/SD Sync Generator and Test Signal Generator is a stable timing source that is perfect for local reference generation in broadcast, remote trucks and post. HD SDI, SD SDI, analog composite, Tri-Level Sync, timecode, AES audio and analog audio reference outputs are generated.
The 9400 can operate from an internal precision frequency reference as a stand-alone Master Sync Generator or lock to a video reference or 10 MHz precision reference. Alternately, the 7400-GPS option can be used. If the external reference is lost, the 7400’s softlock provides a graceful transition to the internal TCXO, ensuring consistent reference output.
The 9400 can output multiple formats of Tri-Level Sync, 3 Gb/s and 1.5 Gb/s HD SDI test signals, SD SDI and composite test signals, and color black reference. The 9400
can simultaneously deliver both 525 (NTSC) and 625 (PAL) based signals. Color framing tracks the reference signal. All of the video outputs are derived from the same time base and can be timed with respect to each other. The 9400 has two identical generators, Generator A and Generator B, each with a variety of outputs. Each set of outputs can be timed with respect to the reference to any point in the television frame. All of the outputs from a particular generator must be selected within the same frame rate family.
The Avenue Frame features a retainer bar to ensure that modules remain properly seated even in the most demanding mobile environments.
Favorite Test Patterns
There are over 30 test signals including: Full and Split Field Bars at 75% and 100% with Pluge; Black; Flat Field; Pulse and Window; Ramp; Crosshatch; Safe Title; Blanking Markers; Cosite; Checkfield, Pathogenic, and 5 Step. The Cyclops feature adds a motion element to the selected video test signal to assist in locating a signal that might be frozen in a frame sync somewhere in the signal chain. An ID slate with user programmable text can overlay the test pattern.
Customizable Test Patterns
In addition to the standard suite of test patterns, users can create custom test patterns on a computer. Simply transfer test patterns to the included Secure Digital flash memory card using Avenue Logo software and a standard card reader, then insert the memory card into the 9400. Custom test patterns can also include motion.
The 9400 provides extensive support for analog and digital audio. Because all of the video outputs can be locked to a common time base, the AES digital audio outputs are always synchronous with all of the video outputs – regardless of format. Multiple tone generators make it easy to identify multi-channel content. This bitstream will be included in the set of signals that can be embedded into the test signal outputs.
The audio section of each generator supports sixteen audio channels. The content of each channel is independently programmable. Choices include adjustable frequency tone generators, tone sweeps, silence and timecode. Left/Right Channel ID that synchronizes to the Cyclops feature can also be selected.
All sixteen of these channels can be embedded in the SDI outputs. Each AES output can select from any of the 8 pairs that make up these 16 channels. Similarly, the stereo analog output of each generator can be driven from any of these audio signal pairs.
Multiple Timecode Generators
Multiple timecode generators make the 9400 convenient for post applications. Timecode is delivered as VITC, DVITC, and LTC both 75 Ohm BNC and 110 Ohm Balanced. One generator can be configured to produce 525/59.94 drop frame timecode while the other generator is making 1080sF/23.98.
7400-GPS Option for the Ultimate Precision Reference
For the ultimate in precision, the 7400-GPS option can be used
with the 9400 module. The purpose of this GPS option is to provide an extremely precise frequency reference. The oscillator on the 7400-GPS is more accurate than a typical internal precision standard and is equivalent in accuracy to an atomic standard. Increased frequency accuracy makes it possible to frame synchronize signals between different facilities with virtually no dropped or doubled frames. The GPS option also provides precise time of day information, which can be used to drive the 9400 module’s internal timecode generators.
The 7400-GPS option seamlessly integrates into the Avenue system by plugging directly onto the 9400 module. It can be easily installed in the field. The 7400-GPS option consists of a compact, weatherproof antenna (with internal high-gain pre-amp) and a receiver sub module which mounts directly to the 9400 module. The included GPS antenna mounts onto standard 3/4” threaded pipe, metal or plastic. Connection from the F-style coaxial fitting on the antenna to the appropriate BNC on the Avenue Frame can be made with customer supplied standard 75 ohm cable. The coax cable can be routed through the center of the pipe for a completely waterproof installation. When low loss cable such as Belden 1694A is used, the antenna can be placed up to 200 feet (60 meters) from the frame. Ideally, the antenna is mounted outdoors where it has an unobstructed view of the sky.
A Complete SPG and TSG System
The 9400 can be combined with other Avenue modules to create a complete sync pulse and test signal chain. The 7410 is a four channel Tri-Level Sync generator that can output four different types of Tri-Level Sync simultaneously and is very useful in post and hybrid facilities. The 5150 distribution amplifier can be used to distribute multiple copies of AES audio, Tri-Level Sync or composite black signals as needed. For 3 Gb/s or 1.5 Gb/s HD test signal and black distribution, the 9125 DA is a good fit.
Description of Outputs:
• SDI Out A – Outputs 3 Gb/s or 1.5 Gb/s HD or SD test signals. Select frame rate family for all of Generator A; 59.94, 50 or 60. Output can include 16 channels of embedded audio. The embedded audio can be any combination of the following: tone, silence, external audio. Can also include DVITC.
• Programmable Out 1A – Outputs analog composite black, composite 100% bars, or Tri-Level Sync from TLS Gen 1. When SDI Out A is a SD test pattern, this BNC can also output a composite version of that test pattern. Composite output can include VITC.
• Programmable Out 2A – Outputs one of the following: Tri-Level Sync from TLS Gen 2 (can be different from Out 1 A), LTC, AES (any of 8 pairs), AES silence, Word clock, 6 Hz pulse, 10 MHz (only if locked to internal or GPS reference).
• Programmable Out 3A – Outputs one of the following: Tri-Level Sync from TLS Gen 2 (same as Out 2 A), LTC, AES (any of 8 pairs), AES silence, Word clock, 6 Hz pulse,10 MHz (only if locked to internal or GPS reference).
• Analog Audio – Stereo output, 1 of 8 pairs from the audio generator.
Has the same outputs as noted for Generator A. Generator B is completely independent from Generator A. Generator B can operate in a different frame rate family and its set of outputs can be timed independently.
• 9400 SPG/TSG Module
• 7400-GPS GPS receiver option that plugs onto 7400 module. (Does not take up a slot in Avenue frame). Includes weatherproof antenna. Antenna mounts onto standard 3/4” pipe. Customer to provide 75 Ω 1694A coax up to 60 m/200 ft with F connector for antenna connection and BNC for Avenue frame connection.
- 1080i (SMPTE 274M -4,5,6) 50, 59.94 or 60 Hz
- 720p (SMPTE 296M -1,2,3) 50, 59.94 or 60 Hz
- 1080p (SMPTE 274M -9,10,11) 23.98, 24, 25 Hz
- 1080p (SMPTE 424M, 425M, Level A) 50, 59.94
- 1080sF (RP211 -14,15,16) 23.98, 24, 25 Hz
- 625i 50
- 525i 59.94
- Composite PAL, NTSC
Frame Rate Families
Each 9400 has 2 identical Generators, each with a variety ofoutputs. All of the outputs from a particular Generator must be selected within the same frame rate family.
- 50 Hz (625) Derived Family: 1080i/50, 720p/50,1080p/25,1080sF/25, 625i/50
- 59.94 Hz (525) Derived Family: 1080i/59.94, 720p/59.94,1080p/23.98, 1080sF/23.98, 525i/59.94
- 60 Hz Derived Family: 1080i/60, 720p/60, 1080p/24,1080sF/24
- Number: Two, External or Frame Master Reference
- Signal Type: PAL or NTSC composite video or Tri-Level Sync or 10MHz 1V P-P sine or squared
- Return Loss: >40 dB (applies to external ref input)
Serial Digital Outputs
- Type: HD Serial Digital 1.485 Gb/s
- Impedance: 75 Ohm
- Return Loss: >15 dB to 1.485 GHz
- Max Cable Length: 270 Mb/s 300 meters, 1.485 GB/s 100 meters, 2.97 Gb/s 70 meters, Belden 1694A
Tri-Level Sync Outputs
- Signal Type: Tri-Level Sync
- Output DC: ±50 mV
- Return Loss: >30 dB to 30 MHz
- Signal Type: NTSC/PAL
- Impedance: 75 Ohm
- Return Loss: >30 dB to 30 MHz
- Frequency Response: ±0.1 dB, 0 to 5.0 MHz
- Output DC: ±50 mV
- K Factor: <1.0%
- Differential Phase: <1.0 degree
- SCH Phase: ±2 degrees
- Delay: Adjustable over full frame in sub degree steps
- Color Framing: Tracks Reference
- Internal Reference (TCXO) Frequency Error: <10^-7, <±1 Hz Fsc
- GPS Option Frequency Error: <10^-12
- Analog Jitter: <1 ns
- Digital Jitter: <0.2 UI (0.13 UI typical)
- AES Jitter: <1 ns
AES Audio Outputs
- Number: Two stereo pairs or four mono
- Type: Tone, 50 Hz to 20 Hz, or silent
- Impedance: 30 Ohm, balanced
- Reference Level: -10 to + 4 dBu, selectable
Additional Output Choices
- Timecode: DVITC on the SDI outputs, VITC on the composite outputs, LTC on BNC unbalanced or on HD-15 balanced, 1 V P-P, drop or non-drop for NTSC
- 6 Hz Pulse
- Word Clock
- 10 MHz: When locked to internal or GPS reference
- Number: One
- Type: SD Flash Memory Card
- Size: 2GB card included
- Video: .tga
- Power Consumption: 10 watts
- Temperature Range: 0 to 40°C ambient (all specs met)
- Relative Humidity: 0 to 95%, noncondensing
- Altitude: 0 to 10,000 ft
9400 module cannot be installed in slot 3 of a 1RU frame when 5035 System
Control module is installed